Entrance Slip - Sep 17

 1) Does this article 'speak to you' as a new teacher candidate in Vancouver in 2026, even though it was written in a different time and place? What in this article reaches or touches your life and ideas as a teacher candidate, and why? What seems dated or irrelevant, and why?


I am now learning what it takes to be a teacher, therefore yes, this essay connects within me. Prior reading the arrticle by Grant and Zeichner, I mainly saw teachers as people who pass on knowledge to students. I learned from the article that educators must be lifelong learners. I'm discovering as a prospective teacher that I won't always know what is most effective for every student. I must pay attention, keep a sense of curiosity, and be prepared to adjust my approach if needed ( not every strategy work on every student, some might need different approach). As a teacher candidate, I am now learning in classrooms equipped with technology and filled with students from diverse backgrounds. However, I still find the idea of reflective teaching relevant.


2) In what ways does this article help you develop your ideas about teacher inquiry and critical thinking -- both through points you agree with and those you may disagree with?


The article helped me see teacher inquiry as something I could include in my daily teaching. As a teacher candidate, I’m learning that not every lesson will go as planned, and instead of viewing it as a failure, I can reflect on what worked, what didn’t, and what I could do differently. I agree with Grant and Zeichner that teachers should challenge their own teaching rather than simply using the same approaches because they are comfortable. At the same time, I believe it can be difficult to constantly adapt our teaching because we still have to follow the curriculum and school standards. This made me think that being a reflective teacher is about understanding why I make the decisions I do, rather than trying to change everything. This article encourages me to look more closely at my teaching practices and use my experiences to keep learning and improving.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entrance Slip - September 24

Exit Slip - September 17

Exit Slip - Class 1