Exit Slip - Class 1

What really caught my attention from the classroom discussion of Teacher Man by Frank McCourt is the idea that if a teacher is not open to learning, they may not be truly committed to teaching from the bottom of their heart. This challenged my previous understanding of the role of a teacher because I had mainly viewed teachers as people who provide knowledge to their students. However, in the video, McCourt demonstrates that learning is the foundation of teaching because it involves understanding students’ needs and responding to them.

I was particularly impressed by how he handled students who were refusing to read certain textbooks. Instead of forcing them to accept the texts, he asked the students to share their frustrations and used their responses to create meaningful discussions. This showed me how teachers can maintain authority and structure while still allowing students to question ideas and express their perspectives. I think this is important because when students are given the opportunity to explain why they disagree with something, they are encouraged to think critically rather than simply accept information. It also made me realize that listening to students can be just as important as delivering information to them.

This idea also made me reflect on my own experiences with teachers. I have had teachers who mainly focused on giving information and completing the required material, but I have found that I learn more when a teacher takes the time to understand students and allows them to participate in discussions. When students feel that their opinions are being heard and respected, they may become more comfortable asking questions and sharing their ideas. This can create a classroom environment where both the teacher and students are learning from one another.

Overall, the discussion broadened my understanding of teaching and learning by showing me that education is not a one-way process. Teachers can learn from their students just as students learn from their teachers, and this exchange can make learning more meaningful. It also made me think about the kind of teacher I would want to be: someone who is willing to listen, learn from students, and adapt their teaching based on the needs of the classroom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entrance Slip - September 24

Exit Slip - September 17